Taylor brought this to a dinner last night and it was delish! She got the recipe from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/claire-robinson/braised-red-cabbage-recipe/index.html
*** I have paleoized the ingredients in a few places and the Chorizo is Taylor’s additon to the recipe.
INGREDIENTS (4 servings):
3 slices nitrate free bacon (Taylor recommends using more than this)
Chorizo sausage cut finely
1 small shallot, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup organic chicken stock
sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
* Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
* Add the bacon and the shallot slices and cook until just light golden, about 3 to 4 minutes.
(Taylor mentioned that the recipe leaves out that you are to pre-cook the bacon to your desired crispiness and then also pre-cook the onions in the bacon fat)
* Pour in the vinegar, scraping the pan to release any browned bits and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
* Add the cabbage, tossing to coat and soften slightly; pour in the stock and season with lightly with salt and pepper.
* Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is very soft, about 30 minutes.
* Remove the lid and cook, stirring occasionally, to allow the moisture to evaporate and cooking liquid to thicken, about 5 minutes.
* Transfer to a serving dish, top with crumbled bacon and enjoy!