This is the actual email that Lorna sent me!
This was so delicious that I had to send it to you. I may have actually licked the last remaining scraps from the squash shell.
We used the Hills Foods rosemary lamb sausage (from Kitchen Quickies).
I cooked the squash the night before to speed up the prep in the morning. Scooped out the squash and refrigerated it, while leaving the shells at room temp.
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 40 mins
* ¾lb breakfast sausage of choice
* 1 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
* 2 eggs
* ½ yellow onion, diced
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* salt and pepper, to taste
* Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
* Place acorn squash cut-side down onto your baking sheet.
* Bake for 20-25 minutes or until your acorn squash is soft when you press on the skin.
* Remove from oven and let cool.
* While your acorn squash is cooking, add a tablespoon of some kind of fat to a large pan over medium heat then add your minced garlic and diced onion.
* Stir around to keep from burning.
* Once your onions become translucent, add your breakfast sausage to the pan.
* Cook down, breaking up the breakfast sausage as it cooks.
* Once the breakfast sausage is almost all the way cooked through, turn your heat to low and add your inside of your acorn squash. Do this by using a spoon to scoop out the insides, leaving just the skin of the acorn squash. Be careful not the tear the skin!
* Mix the acorn squash and the breakfast sausage together then add it back to your acorn squash skin
* Once both of your acorn squash halves are full, press into the middle with a spoon to breakfast a little resting spot for your egg. – make a big hole so the egg doesn’t slip out over the top.
* Crack an egg on top.
* Place back in the oven to cook for 10-15 minutes or until egg-cooked preference.
* Salt and pepper to taste